Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Butterfly Farm















Last Saturday morning we drove to the Butterfly Farm on the other side of the island. To drive the entire island it would take you about two to two and half hours. We drove North and then East. The airport is on the south east part of the island, so I have seen most of it but the south west. The middle of the island is very hilly and all jungle. We might take a hike there sometime, but after some of the bugs I saw at the Butterfly Farm I might stay to the edges! Saturday was also a holiday here so there were a lot of people out and about. It was Malaysia's Labor Day. The work week here includes Saturday so it was considered a long weekend, (they work until one on Saturdays.)
In front of the Butterfly Farm there was a huge row of all different kind of Bonsai Trees for sale. They were huge! Corbin, if I could bring you one home, that would be my present to you. You would have loved see them. Cause there is no way I'm bring you a monkey! So this picture is for you. It is not dead I guess they are hibernating. The farm was a jungle inside, not a huge area, but has the most amazing Butterflies. I assume it is like the Butterfly Pavilion at home, but I have never been. They had these wire tables set out with hibiscus flowers all over them so the butterflies would just swarm them. I have never seen so many different kinds in my life. They also had a lot of different kinds of "bugs" and reptiles. They had a live scorpion pit and a couple iguanas and a kimono dragon. They also had a lot of bugs that were dead and pinned in a display area. I would not like to run into the spiders they have here, alive and in real life. Yuck! They are huge! They also had a lot of the native vegetation in the Farm as well, including a tiny pineapple growing on it plant. I've never seen one growing in really life.
Cannon's greatest wish was to have a butterfly land on his finger. But every time one got close he would scream and shake his hands. I kept telling him to hold still, but he just couldn't quite do so. I finally found a butterfly that had just hatched and was still gaining his wing strength and put it on Cannon's shirt, he was thrilled. He walked around with "his" butterfly on the rest of the time we were there. Mya was running around all over saying, "see, see" and pointing to everything. They had a waterfall and a fish pond inside as well. Mya loved the fish! She would have watched them all day. See, See! The man holding Mya is Cho, (pronounced Joe, but with a Ch.) our host here in Malaysia. He has been showing us the all the sites, and has been a great tour guide.
We arrived right in front of a bus of High School kids and they all wanted their pictures taken with Cannon and Mya. Cannon got a little fed up and told them to let him alone. (He was busy chasing Butterflies.) Mya loved the attention and even let a couple of the girls hold her. I felt like a famous person being followed by the paparazzi, every time I looked up someone was taking our picture. SO CRAZY! I'm glad its Mya and Cannon's picture they want and not mine!














4 comments:

  1. Mya looks like she loves being a celebrity!!! What a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie...I'm looking at the sweat pouring off your kids and I'm soooooo thankful to be in Seattle! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you are doing this blog so someday when the kids have forgotten their celebrity status you can remind them. It is so beautiful there. What an experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! What a wonderful experience! Especially the celebrity status! Enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete