Wednesday, April 28, 2010

We almost lost Cannon to a Monkey and Mya to Ants!
















Okay, so the picture says it all. I can't believe that Brian caught it! We traveled to the Botanical Gardens here in Penang. This is what I pictured Malaysia to be in my mind. Not all of the buildings where we are staying. It is a jungle when you travel outside of the buildings. We went to the gardens because we were told you could see monkeys there. Great, monkeys in the US are in cages, great. Not in the Botanical Gardens in Malaysia, they roam freely as if you were seeing squirrels in Colorado. People feed them too just like the squirrels. They sit up in the electrical wires and we found one that had a mohawk. SO funny! They were everywhere!! Cannon was wary of them at first but soon got very comfortable walking around with them. I never got comfortable and was scared of them the entire time!!! Mya is Mya, never scared and wanted to chase them.















Cannon got to close to one and he bared his teeth at Cannon and growled, I thought he was a goner! He screamed and everyone turned to look and he ran away faster then I have ever seen him go. (Vicki, it was worse then the alligator in the Wild Life Experience.) He wanted to ride on Brian's shoulders the rest of the time! When we got back everyone kept asking him if he loved the monkeys, and he just said, "No, I didn't like them at all." End of story. By the time we left he was crying because he wanted to see more Monkeys, so I think we will have to go back.
Mya fell down one time trying to go down a hill when she stood back up she was covered in sugar ants. I thought it was just dirt but when I looked closer she was swarming. I am so glad they were just sugar ants and didn't bite her at all. I wonder what all the people were thinking when the crazy Americans were stripping the clothes off of her and beating them on the ground. We must have been a spectacle.
The Gardens are a very popular place to go and run. There were people exercising everywhere. Running, walking, and do Yoga, and Ti Chi (spelling?). I don't understand how people can work out here, I was dying and we were only sauntering around. Notice the kids hair, soaked like they just got out of the shower. The line from that movie, Fools Rush In, keeps going through my head, "The white people are melting!"
It's getting better, I just have to remember to carry something with me to wipe the sweat away. The Gardens were beautiful and very well maintained. We found a tree called the Cannonball tree. They were so cool! Also, this tree with this amazing root, huge!!! It looks like a wall but its the tree's root. I wish everyone was here to see it, the pictures don't do it justice!






When we were driving home we drove through this Indian market, there were so many people you could hardly drive down the street, we are going to try to go back tonight to see if it's there again. I want to walk around and see. They were selling everything under the sun! It might only be a once a week thing, but something I don't want to miss out on. I feel like my eyes can't take it all in. Notice the little girl standing the the blue dress, BEAUTIFUL!!! The clothes are awesome!! Love it!!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! What great pictures and commentary! I love it! So glad you are there to experience it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of Cannon jumping away is priceless. I don't blame him. Monkeys creep me out. That place looks beautiful and we can't wait to go there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannon flying! I'm sure my boys would have had the same reaction!

    ReplyDelete