Thursday, April 22, 2010

We are here!








We made it to Malaysia! We are settling in on Gurney Drive, in Penang. It is SO beautiful here. WARM, WARM, WARM! I don't think I have stopped sweating since I got here. Cannon who sweats a lot normally has not had dry hair since we got here, and sweet Mya has beautiful rosy cheeks. We flew out of Colorado Monday evening the 19th. We flew to San Francisco. As we took off in Denver Cannon was yelling, Mom, I can see Africa from here." He looked out the window the entire time. He loved the airplane ride. As we were landing, Brian asked him what he thought of flying and he said, "Flying makes me hot." We thought that was a bit of a strange answer and then he started yelling, "I'm going to throw up." Brian who is a quick thinker found the barf bag in the seat and caught it as it was coming out. We had a four hour layover in San Francisco.

We met a missionary who was on his way to Singapore while we were waiting. He thought he had found someone to share the gospel with, poor Elder Vance will have to wait. He was traveling alone and was the only missionary in the MTC going to Singapore.

We had a fourteen hour flight to Hong Kong. That is a long time in an airplane! The kids really did fantastic. Mya got a cot on the airplane, which is a bassinet strapped to a board that pulls out of the wall, I kept thinking she was going to fall out, so I did not sleep much while she was in there. Cannon crashed out the minute we got seated and slept for about seven hours. Mya slept a little bit longer. I kept having to take her out of the cot because she couldn't be in there if there was any turbulence. Cannon watched movies the rest of the time. Luckily the airline offered about twelve kids movies and a lot of tv shows. I didn't even have to break out any of the puzzle books I brought for him. Mya was another story. She wanted to walk the aisles. So I was up and down with her, most of the flight. She did play with some toys and coloring books, but not for long. I think the stewardess' where happy to see us off the plane.

We had an eight hour layover in the Hong Kong airport. We ate Burger King hamburgers at six in the morning, cause it felt like the afternoon to our bodies. We walked around a lot and they had a couple of play places for the kids, so it really wasn't bad. I felt like we were still in America. There were a lot of shops, and places to buy clothes and purses, so it really felt like we were in a huge mall. I haven't met anyone yet that does not speak English. We Americans are so behind! Mya and Cannon are celebrities here, especially Mya with her big eyes. Everyone wants to touch them and talk to them, its really crazy. Asians do not have personal space, they put their hands all over the kids, rubbing their hair and their cheeks and arms. It really freaks me out! I have had people ask me if they can hold Mya, and I don't even know them. Lucky for me, Mya doesn't want anyone to hold her but Brian or I. But the people are so friendly!

We got on an airplane to Penang about three in the afternoon and Cannon fell asleep as soon as the plane started moving. Mya fell asleep about an hour later. They both slept through landing, getting off the plane, customs, baggage claim, loading the cars, (yes cars, we brought so much stuff that we had to be picked up in two cars.) and the drive to the condo. I have never seen them that dead to the world in my life. We all went to sleep very quickly after we arrived here. The kids slept until about 3 in the morning, and got up for milk, a quick look outside and some stories and then were back to sleep by 4 and slept until 8. The time adjustment has been the hardest on Mya. She falls asleep where ever and though what ever were doing. She is still sleeping at night, and for that I am grateful. We haven't made it all the way through the night yet, but this morning they slept until six, so we are getting there!

5 comments:

  1. FUN! I'm glad it was an uneventful trip over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that the flights and layovers were good. We prayed hard for your trip to be not so stressful! Can't wait for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahoo! We are jealous!! Hope you are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool experience for you! I'm a little green with envy, however I've never had the desire to travel to Asia. Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME!!!! I am just getting started reading your blog! Sounds so exciting! We miss you guys!

    Ariane

    ReplyDelete