Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pictures of the Church Building

Here are some pictures of the Church Building here in Penang. It is a cool little building. I think it use to be a home. It has a pretty good size chapel and about 7 rooms in the upstairs. It has a second building which houses the Relief Society room and the Young Men's room. I taught Mya's nursery class last week, cause the teacher didn't come. And when Priesthood starts in the Chapel downstairs you can hear the hymn the men sing so loud and clear. It is so cool, because everyone is singing so loudly! The nursery toys consist of a set of big Lego's and a box of McDonald's toys that you get in Happy Meals. Just another thing that reminds me how lucky we are in the US. They would die if they saw all the toys in the nursery at home! Mya had fun and being the only Nursery kid she gets them all to herself, until Sunday School lets out and all the kids from Senior Primary come in and play, (all the kids means two!) Junior primary has a few more because there is an American set of quads, three girls and a boy. Otherwise there would just be three kids in Junior Primary.

Cannon made his teacher laugh so hard this week because she gave him an Oreo, and he licked the frosting out and gave her back the cookie. She thought that was the funniest thing ever! They call cookies here biscuits. There are not very many children here, not only in the church, but period. It is very rare to see a pregnant woman, or children.

Brian was talking to one of the men here he is working closely with this week, and found out he has a son. Brian suggested that he and Cannon could play together, and the man say, "Yea, can, but on the weekend." (Malaysians use the word can here, like we say Yes. So everything is can, can, can if they are saying yes to something.) Brian asked him a little bit more and found out, that it is common here to drop your child off at Daycare Monday morning and pick them up Saturday afternoon. The child stays in the daycare overnight, all through the week. It is very, very common here that both parents work. The man asked Brian if I was retired and Brian said no, she works in our home, and takes care of the children. He said, "Wow, that's weird!" I can't even imagine! My heart would break if I only saw Cannon and Mya on the weekend. I am sooo BLESSED!! I am so grateful to live in a country where it is acceptable for a woman to stay home and take care of her children. That I don't feel looked down upon because I don't have a career outside of the home. I am grateful for a husband that works hard to make this possible.

1 comment:

  1. I love seeing how churches in other countries work :) I broke the purse hook in the bathroom at the little church in Puerta Vallarta. I felt terrible. They already have so much less and then I break their stuff....:(

    ReplyDelete