Thursday, June 3, 2010

My new favorite dessert






Brian has become the hawker food connoisseur. He loves the local food and will try anything. The people in the Bomanite Office insist on bringing him all the local food to try. Me, on the other hand am not so food adventurous. I stick to the things I can pronounce or at least know what it is I'm eating. Brian doesn't care, he's to the point now where the food is in his mouth before he asks what it is. He has tried goat intestines, sheep brain, cow intestines, all kinds of squid, a ton of different kinds of fish, (head, brain, eyes, bones, scales, everything still attached.) and every kind of curry you can imagine.
One thing he has fallen in love with is an Indian bread named Roti Canai. It is a pastry like flat bread. They start out with a piece of dough about the size of a ping pong ball. The man flattens it out with his hands with ghee (which I think is melted margarine.) Then he starts to flip it around in his hands until it becomes paper thin and round like a circle. He spreads it out on the counter and folds it in onto itself, and then, folds it again into thirds and the pushes the air out with his hands. It ends up flat like a pita and he frys it on a grill til its cooked and brown like a pita. Then he takes it off the griddle and slaps it to fluff it up. That part makes me laugh! It is chewy, but it is flaky similar to a croissant, but not dry like a croissant. They serve it to you warm with a spicy lentil curry to dip the bread into. It's pretty yummy, not my favorite though.
My favorite is the same dough, they flatten it out the same way and they cook it. Then they put it on your plate so its like a tepee, and they drizzle sweetened condensed milk over the top. It is called Roti Tisu, like tissue paper. Cannon and I would have eaten this all night. I was a little full cause I had eaten tandoori chicken, which is chicken they cook in these big clay pots, super hot! The chicken is bright reddish, orange. I don't know the spices they put on it, but its yummy and they serve it with a yogurt and mint sauce to dip it into.
Cannon has grown a taste for soy sauce, which he likes to dip french fries into. They also have a lot of chili sauces here, which they serve with french fries instead of ketchup. Its spicy, Brian and I like it but Cannon and Mya can't stand it. It difficult to get regular ketchup here as well. They have it at McDonald's, but most places serve this stuff they call tomato sauce, which is suppose to be ketchup, looks like ketchup. But taste like tomato and vinegar. I don't care for it very much.
McDonald's is like an upscale restaurant here. We have only found one that has a drive through. But if you buy Hawker food, we can feed our family for like 5 dollars. If we go to McDonald's, we pay like 15 to 20 dollars. They serve fried chicken here and also a rice porridge. The hamburgers are more expensive then the chicken, and you can't get anything grilled, everything is fried. You also also get a Big Mac with 4 patties and chicken sandwiches with two. They call them chicken burgers here. You can also get it delivered, they have men on motor scooters driving around. They have KFC's as well, that don't taste anything like at home. I ate there once and that was enough for me. They have Pizza Hut as well. We haven't tried it yet. We walked past it the other day and they were advertising a pizza with fish sticks on it. Yuk, I will be skipping that one as well.
One of the specialty's here is the chicken satay. Which I didn't like very much at first. But then I realized that you have to eat it with the peanut sauce and then it's pretty good. They cook a ton of Chinese food here, which isn't like American Chinese food, which I definitely prefer. Oh yeah, here's another strange thing, they eat beans for dessert. I made chili one night and they were so surprised, because they don't eat beans in savory dishes, only for dessert. They put kidney beans, and corn on their shaved ice, and its called Ice Kacang. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. They also eat noodles for dessert. I had one a couple of weeks ago, they cook the noodles in Pandan leaves (which they use pandan, like we use vanilla,) and then they serve it with brown sugar and shaved coconut on top. Nothing is very sweet, like we like it in America.





Cannon said to me the other night,"Mom, I hear a Mosque, He's calling everyone to come have a prayer with him."

3 comments:

  1. Beans should never be in shaved ice. Ever. Ever. But I do love chicken satay. Especially with the peanut sauce. I tried to make it....not so much :) Haha! Glad you are being adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you ever going to be able to stand coming home to the same old, same old, every day? Sure can't wait to see you guys. It has been at least six months now, hasn't it? We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tandoori chicken!!! But, then I love curry also. Sounds like Brian is a human guinea pig, very brave. I don't think that I could eat brains and intestines. But, I have eaten haggis which was yummy, if you don't know what is inside!!!
    I really don't get the whole beans in shaved ice, that sounds disgusting.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete